Friday, January 24, 2014

Helpful links and other Resources

Helpful Links and Other Resources

Because no one can take what they cannot find
My first personal goal while constructing this website was to acknowledge that I am not the only person skilled when it comes to ditching stuff underground. There are several other very good references currently available and a few of them have some experience with aspects of underground caching that I do not. With that in mind, I thought that I would share a few helpful links.
One of my favorite websites is SurvivalistBoards.com and they have a survival forum loaded with threads about burying stuff underground. You can simply search their archives with the keywords “burying underground” and you’ll get several very good discussions with some great advice about geocaching weapons, food etc. This website also has a repository of downloadable PDF’s about survival and prepping. It’s a friendly and supportive group of people and one of the largest survival forums that I’ve seen.
Survival Cache has an excellent article about a wonderful little invention called the “MonoVault.” Since I personally have no experience with this caching strongbox, I thought that I would provide the link here – The MonoVault has a strong reputation and comes in at least three different sizes. It is not cheap, but like I mentioned earlier about Pelican, if you want the best you have to pay for it. Even if you never buy a MonoVault, you should still read this article. You’ll find it surprisingly informative and well-written; in my humble opinion it’s probably the best piece of literature about caching underground.
I may be mistaken, but it’s my understanding that among survivalists and preppers, a man named Jim Rawles stands out above the rest. He writes a blog where he personally covers just about every subject that one might envision. He wrote a piece a few years back about permanent caches… click here to read it …about which I do have some knowledge and experience but certainly not as much as Mr Rawles. I may add a webpage later about bigger projects but even if I do, I would still recommend this link. It’s a detailed and informative article written by someone with first-hand knowledge and many years experience.
A post by someone with the username JeepHammer once caught my attention. It’s located at PreparedSociety.com and it caught my eye because it was intelligently written and also because apparently I’m not the only person to think of turning caches upside-down. JeepHammer gives some great advice about waterproofing and locating a caching spot. He also has some helpful tips for camouflage and operational security.
If you are burying firearms then you’ll want to check out Great Northern Prepper …as I’ve not yet gone into great detail about guns and ammo. I do plan on adding a step-by-step tutorial about burying guns and ammo yet I would still recommend reading this blog post. The Great Northern Prepper covers pre-purchase aspects and mentions PVC pipe and the MonoVault; an excellent and informative article.
I decided that a website dedicated to underground caching would be incomplete without mentioning this book. Google search TC-31-29A, it’s the U.S. Army’s technical manual for caching and it’s available for download on dozens of sites. One word of caution; this manual has a section on a method called submersion. This usually involves diving underwater, tying your cache to a moor and using specialized packaging/containers. Extreme caution should be taken when employing this method of caching. Use common sense when considering both water currents during flooding and activities by the general public; like fishing, that may cause the discovery of your cache or interfere with your ability to retrieve your cache.

No comments:

Post a Comment